Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rant on Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Okay, let’s make this clear. I am an agnostic - I do not believe there is god that created life and the earth and all that jazz. Actually, I’m a scientific pantheist but that gets a little tricky to explain to people.

Even so, this argument over Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays just annoys the crap out of me and there are a couple of reasons why, which I am going to detail now:

1. Christmas is one holiday - Holidays are more than one holiday. So, when I say Merry Christmas I mean the ONE holiday. When I say Happy Holidays I mean ALL of them during this season. I don’t know when I will see you again, so I’m covering my bases.

2. Yes, I call it Christmas even though I don’t believe in the Abrahamic god. I also say Thursday and Friday and I don’t believe in Thor or Frigga either.

3. It’s just a greeting, get over it. This goes for both sides of the argument, if you don’t like it - don’t say it.

4. How about we get pissed that the ‘Christmas’ season starts before Halloween is over and everyone seems completely burnt out on it before the day actually arrives, That I can get behind.

Okay - I’m done know and I feel better. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

No comments: